Blood and Water
Chapter 4
by Lisa L.

Sly Rax drove Piranha down the desert road. For once he was actually driving the speed limit. He was in no hurry to get back to base, not after losing Roxy. He didn't want to be the bearer of bad news nor did he want to give up hope on Roxy. Rax pulled over to the side and threw his mask off and kicks the dirt. He sits there trying to gather his thoughts. He knew he should of radio in to Mayhem on the situation, yet he was too overwhelmed with anger to do so. Sly Rax watches as the sun comes up over the horizon, "This wasn't supposed to happen, I should have been at her side not watching in the distance. Maybe I should have looked longer, she could be hurt or caught."

He pounds his fist into Piranha," I can't believe I searched every ounce of that area and had no sign of her. If anything happens to her I'll never forgive myself for not being there." His eyes lit up with fire as he swears to himself," I'll get you MASK this time you'll all pay dearly." He puts his mask back on and speeds off towards base, driving like a crazy maniac.

Sly Rax accelerated through the base doors and came to a streaking halt. He jumps off Piranha removing his mask, in a hurry. He runs up to Mayhem's office and practically broke down the door.

"Hey, what's the meaning of this?" Mayhem stands up enraged.

"Roxy in trouble, we have to save her. Assemble the team," Sly Rax says demandingly. Mayhem just stands there looking at him as though he was thinking about it. "Well don't just stand there, do something!" Rax went up to him nearly threatening him to take action.

"Sit down Rax," Mayhem suggested. Rax refused his orders." I said sit down!" Mayhem's voice echoed throughout the room. "I figured this situation might come up and I'm perfectly prepared to deal with it," Mayhem says trying to calm Rax down. "Right now Roxanne is going to have to take care of herself for the time being. We have a schedule to keep with and this is a major set back."

"Is that all your worried about your stupid plan?" Rax burst out.

"Well I'm surprised, Sly Rax actually cares about somebody except himself," Mayhem walks around his office. "Now shut up and let me talk," Mayhem insisted giving him a warning. He continues, "After we capture Professor Michael to start development on our laser, we will go after Roxanne. The only reason I'm agreeing to save that ungrateful little brat is because it is just a matter of time before she tells MASK our location."

Mayhem moves up to him and threatens him," If you even think about going back to get her you’re a dead man, ya hear Rax." Sly Rax nodded with a hateful expression on his face. He knew very well that Mayhem had connections in high places.

He gets up and slams the door behind him and exchanges a glance with Vanessa. She clenched her fist in anger after what she heard coming out of Mayhem's office.

Vanessa walks over to him, "Who does he think he is? Roxy is a part of the team. We don't leave team members behind."

Sly Rax picks up a can of beer, "All he cares about is his freak'n revenge. One of these days Miles is going to get it right between the eyes." Rax takes a long sip of his beer, "When he does I want to be there." Rax crushes his can and walks away, wanting to be alone.

Vanessa watched as he walked away," I hope you're all right Roxy, just hang on. We'll be there soon." Vanessa takes a glance at Mayhem's office," I hope." She walks off too seeing darkness of her room the only comfort for this cold hour.



At MASK headquarters, deep inside boulder hill, several agents stood around in a hallway waiting. They watched as this young mysterious girl receives medical attention in the other room.

Roxy laid there unconscious on a medical bed with an IV stuck in her arm. Both her arms were bandaged up along with her head. Matt walks into the room, his eyes fall upon the girls face. Just looking at her brought flashbacks of someone dear to his heart he thought he had forgotten.

Alex Sector finishes up wrapping bandages around her arms," You know Matt she needs to go to the hospital, I'm hardly qualified to take care of her injuries. She has a concussion, a sprained ankle, and she has lost a lot blood."

"I see what you mean Alex, but I can't risk losing her. She obviously knows something otherwise she wouldn't have stolen that chip."

Alex checks Roxy's pulse," You know she's lucky to be alive, if she didn't have seatbelt on in Gator. She would of gone splat all over that tree."

Matt nods," I'm surprised she even drove Gator, it's supposed to have a fail safe device in case the wrong person jumps into it. Somehow she knew about it. There's no question in my mind that she's working for VENOM, but it doesn't make sense." Alex turns and looks to Matt sharing the same feeling,

"Why would VENOM send a child to do their dirty work?"

"Exactly what I was thinking," Matt smiled. Both Alex and Matt walk out of the room, locking the door behind them.

Bruce steps forward, "Well after looking through her purse, it looks like she knew what she was doing. She had all she needed to break into your office. The latest in thief technology." Bruce pulls out her compact opening it," And here's our missing chip. Also that necklace she had around neck was the same one VENOM walked off with last month."

"Good job, Bruce. I'm going to investigate our mysterious thief. See if I can figure out who she is. Dusty I suggest you get started on repairing Gator, were going to need it soon. Gloria do me a favor and talk to Scott for me. Obviously he was talking to our friend all night," Matt then stops in front of Brad. "Do me a favor scout the area, make sure VENOM is not around. If Sly Rax was in the area the others are sure to follow."

Brad nodded, "Come on Buddy we’re out for a long night."

Just as everyone took off, Alex speaks, "Is there some particular reason your blaming Brad for something?"

" He makes me angry. He is always questioning me. If you'll excuse me Alex I have work to do," Matt takes off towards his office not wishing to further discuss the matter.

Matt sits alone in his office sipping his coffee. "Computer access all criminal records on a matching suspect," Matt leans back in his chair waiting.

The computer replies," No criminal record on suspect."

Matt nodded his head," Bring up a missing person report matching our suspect." After a couple minutes," Match acquired, Roxanne Trakker, age 14. She was reported missing 3 months ago, evidence report to possible runaway. If found contact Social Services of Washington DC"

Matt set his coffee down the girl's name made him speechless. Matt voice grew serious," Computer tell me who her parents are?"

"Mother Rebecca Travis-Trakker, deceased, Father unknown."

Matt sat there in shock," She wouldn't have done that...would she? Computer bring up Rebecca's file." Matt couldn't believe it as he read her file, after all these years she never told him. He picks up his coffee mug to take a sip, his eyes fall strongly on Rebecca's face. "How could you!" He throws his coffee mug at the screen and walks out of his office heading towards his room. He locks his bedroom door behind him, and pulls out a turned over picture frame from his dresser draw. He sits on his bed running his hand over it to clear off some dust. In the picture was Matt dressed up in a tuxedo and a young woman dressed in a bridal outfit. Matt lays back on his bed as flashbacks flood his mind.



Fifteen Years ago:

Matt Trakker stands in his backyard catching a breath of fresh air, after being in his workshop for hours. A young woman with blue eyes and brown hair sneaks up behind Matt. She wraps her arms around his waist, "Where have you been?"

Matt kisses her," Rebecca I was...umm."

She kisses his nose," Trakker you can't keep any secrets from me, you know better."

"Me, Andy, and Miles are working on an important project you know that I can't tell you."

Rebecca forces him to sit down on a bench, she then sits in his lap," Well hun I guess I don't have to tell you my secret then."

He looks concerned, "What secret?" She wraps her arms around his head," I can't tell you, I took an oath." She stands up and starts to walk away, just then Matt's brother Andy walks up to him.

"She's hiding something really big isn't she?" Matt raises a brow to him wanting a clue.

Andy laughs," So are we. You’re telling me you haven't figured it out yet? Maybe you've been working on the plans too long. I can't believe you haven't notice the way she's been acting around the house. Come on Dad we need you to help with the car configuration."

Matt think for a second," You mean?" His eyes light up.

Andy nods, "Come on Miles wants to talk to you about the car were planning to build." Matt follows him with a smile.

A few hours later, Rebecca walks out to the pool in short black bathing suit and shades. She places a towel over the chair and lays out over it. Just then a shadow appears over her, "Huh?"

"Oh sorry to disturb you Mrs. Trakker," Mayhem smiles.

"Oh it's you Miles you scared me there for a second," she takes a deep breath.

"It's quite all right I get that one all the time," Mayhem apologizes. She looks at him as though there were something different about him.

"Is there something you want?" she looks up at him.

Mayhem looks her over with a smile, "Oh I'm sorry. I wanted to ask you Rebecca if you have reconsidered my offer." Miles runs his hand over her cheek, "You know I would treat you better then way Matt has, and I do love you."

She pushes his hand away in anger, "How many times do I have to tell you. What happened between us was an accident Miles. At the time I felt very lonely ok? I thought we both agreed never to discuss it again. I love Matt, remember that."

Miles stands up narrows her eyes on her, "You'll regret this, Rebecca."

She lays back ignoring him," Hardly." She lays back and takes a nap, meanwhile Mayhem walks off mumbling under his breath.


Later that evening, Matt walks into his bedroom. Rebecca lays in bed yawning," You really shouldn't work that late you need rest. I don't like it when you’re cranky in the morning."

"What about you?" he sits on the bed placing his hand over her stomach.

She giggles," Let me guess Andy told you."

"Well technically, ya," he holds her hand. "I'm sorry I haven't been around much I just feel like I have a lot riding on this project. As soon as were done I promise to spend more time with you and..."

She bursts out," her."

He smiles, "What makes you think it's a her?"

She kisses him," A mother intuition." She looks down and takes a more serious tone, " Matt I don't like this project you and Andy are working on."

"Were almost done all we need to do is build our prototype," he lies down beside her.

"Another thing, I have this bad feeling about Miles. He makes me feel uncomfortable every time he comes up to the house," she hopes her words will mean something to him.

Matt kisses her cheek," Miles Mayhem is an old friend of the family, he can be trusted." Matt glances at the clock, "Now if you'll excuse me I should tell Andy to get some rest." Matt walks out of the room.



Matt heads towards their work station he built just a few feet from the house. He knocks on the door, "Hey Andy call it a night will ya?" The door slides open all the way.

The room was in a blaze and the heat was unbearable. Matt looked around, "ANDY! Where are you?" Matt covers his mouth as he tries to break threw the growing flames. He notices Andy's body on the floor semi-conscious.

Matt heart raced as he ran to his brother's side, "I'm going to get you out of here." Andy reaches towards some plans left by Mayhem. "Forget about the plans," Matt yelled as he picked Andy up. Andy refused him and used his last bit of strength to hold on tight to them. Matt scopes him up in his arms and jumps threw the flames bravely. He sets Andy on ground coughing, "Please Andy don't die on me, who did this!"

Andy tried to speak as he gasped for air, "Mayhem..stole...plans...I'm sorry." Andy spoke his last breath and died Matt's arms. Matt's eyes filled with tears as he holds his brother's dead body up to his," NOOOOOO! I promise I will avenge your death."



A month went by and Matt was still tortured by his brother's death. Rebecca watched from the house, shaking her head, as she looks over at the work shop. She walks towards the work shop and knocks on the door. Matt opens the door, his eyes bloodshot and the smell of sweat and dirt fills the air.

"Matt you have to stop this! You've practically locked yourself away in there working day and night, since the funeral. I know you don't want to hear this, but Andy would of wanted you to move on. The police will deal with Mayhem," She practically pleads to him.

He says in a harsh tone, "Nobody will be able to stop him. I have to do this. Now leave me alone." Tears in her eyes,

"Please Matt don't do this to me, I love you doesn't that mean anything to you? I'm carrying your child why can't you see how much you’re hurting me." Matt closes the door on her face and goes back to working. She looks down to her feet banging on the door sobbing her eyes out. Matt holds his eyes close to block out her crying and continues to work on his mask.

Another two month had gone by and Matt was in a more spirited mood. He drives his car Thunder Hawk out of his work shop and up the driveway," This will stop him." He then looks up at the upstairs window.

Rebecca pulls out some suit cases and starts to pack her stuff away. Her eyes full of tears, "I can't take this anymore."

He heads into the house towards their bedroom. Matt watches her in the door way," Planning a trip?"

She practically jumps as she hears his voice," Well I'm surprise you know how to talk, I'm leaving you Matt." Rebecca quickened her pace in packing her belongings.

Matt grabs her by the arm, "Where are you going to go?"

She says in a frustrated voice, "Someplace far from here."

Matt runs his hand over her teary eyed face, "Rebecca I'm sorry. I've been going threw a ruff time. Please don't go. Everything will be different I promise."

Rebecca's eyes weld up in tears. She turns to look at him feeling as though she owed him a second chance. She sits on the bed looking up at him, he did look better, maybe he had changed.

Matt holds her hand, "Let me make it up too you, let's go out tonight and talk."

She nods with a smile, "Yes lets do that." She quickly dresses up for the evening.

"If you don't mind we'll be taking my new car," He opens the door for her.

"This is what you were working on a car?" she thought this must me a joke.

"You could say that," he closes the door for her and jumps in. "I know a nice cozy restaurant we can go to," Matt states as he drove off.

Towards the end of the evening, Rebecca was convinced that Matt was a new man. She wasn't sure how or why, but she was glad to see him acting like his old self.

"I love you Matt," she smiles as he drives them home from the restaurant.

"I love..." Matt starts to speak until he picks up a signal on his radar, "I don't believe it, he's actually in the area."

"What are you talking about Matt? What is that?" Rebecca started to worry.

"It's a radar, Mayhem’s in the area," Matt started hitting some switches in his car.

"Mayhem? Matt this no time to play war games," her tone became serious.

Matt grabs his Mask and places it on his head, "I'm not playing games." Both doors open and Thunder Hawk took off into the air.

"Oh my god! Were flying," she looks at him scared. "Matt Trakker put me on the ground this instant, I'll have nothing to do with this," she orders.

"I can't do that I'll lose him, he's coming into range," Matt ignores her. Just then Switchblade came into view.

Mayhem laughs," Who do we have here? Competition? Well see how that piece of junk does under some fireworks." Mayhem hits a switch and a missile is released from the bottom of SwitchBlade.

Matt eyes widened as he attempted to dodge it. Rebecca screamed as she saw it heading straight for them. Matt tried to avoid it yet the missile hit Thunder Hawk in the back. Mayhem laughs at the hit, " You messed with the best and you go down like rest."

Thunder Hawk came crashing straight down with a bang. Matt shakes his head, " What a landing, don't you think Rebecca?" He turns to look at her," Rebecca?"

She grunts in pain, "Uhh."

Matt gets out and hurries to get her out of her seat, "What have I done?" He lays her on the ground some distance from the car. Matt then sees a car and flags it down and quickly rushes her to the hospital.

At the hospital, Matt waited, in the waiting room, for a report about his wife. He blamed himself for not listening to her. The doctor entered Rebecca's room,

"How do you feel Mrs. Trakker?"

"I feel much better now, how's the baby?" she looks at the doctor concern.

"It's hard to tell she might not make it, if she does there might be complications," the doctor says in a sad tone. "Right now all you need is rest. Would you like me to get your husband?" the doctor asks.

She sighs, "Can you do me a favor?"

"Yes," he replies.

"Tell him he can see me in the morning, I need time to think. Just seeing him right now is upsetting to me."

"Very well," the doctor walks out and heads towards the waiting room.

Matt stands up as soon as the doctor enters, "How is she?"

"She'll be find after some rest," the doctor reassures him.

" The baby?" "It's not looking so good, and even if the child does pull through there might be complications. We'll know in the morning," doctor reassures him.

"Can I see her?" Matt says in a haste wanting to see her.

"I'm afraid not she needs to rest, wait until tomorrow. Feel free to stay here for the night," the doctor then takes off. Matt returns to his seat and decides to sleep in the waiting room for tonight.

The next morning Matt wakes up sitting in the waiting room. He yawns as he looks at he clock, "I must have been exhausted." He makes his way toward the front desk, "Excuse me which room is Rebecca Trakker in?" The nurse looks up at him, " She checked out 2 hours ago. Didn't you know?"

Matt heart pounded he knew where she went and she had a two hour head start. He ran through the hospital and out to the parking lot to his car. He just hoped he wasn't too late getting home. When he reached the mansion he ran up to his room, "Rebecca?" There was no response.

He enters their room and noticed half her belongings missing. She didn't bother taking her time, she wanted to get out of there before he found out. He sat on the bed holding his head, he then notices a letter on the dresser. He picks it up.

Dear Matt,

I've spent all last night considering our fate together. The man I fell in love with no longer exists. I can no longer live my life in your shadow. You've locked yourself away from the world for 3 months and lost all touch with reality. I feel I have no choice but to leave you. Your rage for revenge is too strong for our love. I've tried to accept this by forgetting , yet you’re too dangerous to be around. You'd risk my own life and your child's just to satisfy your revenge. Just this morning I learned the sad truth that our daughter no longer exists. You've killed your own child. Your savage rage for revenge killed your own child. How could you expect to raise a family and peruse your dangerous escapades at the same time. You knew the risk and you didn't care. It's fine by me if you are willing to risk your own life, but what about mine? Did you for once considered anyone but yourself? I can't imagine what type of father you would have been. If you had to choose between your own child and Mayhem, you'd choose Mayhem. That is how cruel and cold hearted you have become. I am now forever scared by this physically and mentally. Please do not attempt to find me. I do not wish to be found. You are heartless Matt Trakker, and if Andy could see you now he would shun you. You’re just like Miles Mayhem in many ways then you know. I hate you Matt and I will never forgive you.

Rebecca.



Matt crumpled up the letter and throws it away. He was full of anger and guilt. He started knocking furniture over and cursing. He threw off his wedding ring and stood there in silence.

"Maybe she was right I have forgotten about the world around me. I'll show her I can get my revenge and have a family at the same time. She'll be back here crawling on her knees for forgiveness." He picks up the phone," All I need are a few friends to get me back on track. Soon Miles will pay for making me lose everything."



Present:

Matt opened his eyes as he heard a knock on his door, "Who is it?" Matt sits up on his bed.

"It's Alex, I've just came to tell you she is waking up," he replied.

Matt shoves the picture into his draw and opens the door, "Well lets not keep our guest waiting."

Alex looks at him as they walk towards the transport to Boulder Hill," Are you ok Matt?"

Matt rubs his eyes, "Yeah just got a lot on my mind."

Alex put his hand on his shoulder, " You know you can tell me anything."

Matt smiles, "Don't worry about it, you'll know soon enough."

Roxanne rubs her eyes as she wakes up. She looked at her surroundings. She sits up, "Ugh my head." She rest her hand over her head, then takes another look about the room. "Where am I? A hospital?" Just then the door open she stared at the door. Her heart races as she kept thinking she wasn't safe.

Matt Trakker entered the room, "Well it's nice to see you've come around." A hateful expression landed on her face. She remembered what happened last night and knew very well she didn't get away as planed. She sat there in silence. She took and oath she wasn't going to spill to the enemy.

Matt moves closer, "Roxanne I'm...." She looks at him with narrowed eyes, " I know who you are so don't bother introducing yourself. Just turn me over to the authorities already and spare me the lecture."

Matt takes back his friendly tone, " Your not going to the authorities just yet. Roxanne what ever Mayhem promised you, I assure you he won't keep his promise."

"Who said I was working for VENOM?" she blurts out.

"You did," Matt pulls up a chair. She rubs her head and curses to herself. She couldn't think straight, maybe she should just shut up.

"Roxanne if you tell me everything you know I will see to it nothing will happen to you?" Matt reassures her.

"Why should I trust you?" She looks at him with cold eyes.

"This maybe hard to understand, but I'm your father." She turns her face away.

" Of all the manipulative things he could of say he had to say that one," she thought. Her face was full of anger as her mind sorts this out, "Who does he think he is. Does he really think I'm that gullible. If he was my father why the heck was I in an orphanage for half my life."

"Roxanne I know this is hard, I didn't believe it myself," Matt puts his hand on hers. "I loved your mother and I had no idea that you were still alive."

She still doesn't look at him. She continues to think, " Vanessa told me they might play games with my mind, maybe I should just go along."

She turns and looks at him, her eyes in tears, "Dad?"

Matt smiles as he runs his hand over her face, "It's all right, everything will be all right."

She wraps her arms around him giving him a hug, something told her she just bought her ticket out of trouble. All she had to do was keep up the act, a small sly smile appeared on her face. She knew everything was going to be all right from now on.

Mail Lisa

Back to the Mindforge